Has Your Life Been Affected By A Criminal Charge?

It can be difficult to start your life over again when your criminal history record keeps rearing its ugly head. In Florida, even if a criminal charge is dismissed, dropped or no action is taken, an adult's criminal record may still be viewed by the public under certain circumstances. In these instances, people can be denied employment, a loan or access to housing all because of what's on their criminal record.

At Thomas G. Fallis, P.A., we believe in second chances, which is why our defense lawyers help people in the Jacksonville area and throughout northeastern Florida who have been arrested and charged with a crime petition the courts to have their criminal record sealed or expunged.

How Does Someone Get Their Record Sealed Or Expunged?

Florida residents have two options when it comes to preventing entities such as banks, employers, landlords and others from seeing their criminal record:

  1. Record sealing — A process by which access to a criminal record is restricted and only granted to certain entities
  2. Record expungement — (Also called expunction) a process by which a record is removed or physically destroyed from record systems

If an individual meets the requirements for record sealing or expungement, a petition may be filed that includes a list of crimes to purge from the record or restrict access to. The court then reviews the petition and either grants or denies the request to seal or expunge the record.

Not All Charges Can Be Sealed Or Expunged

Under the state eligibility requirements, certain criminal offenses cannot be sealed or expunged. It all depends on the individual's situation, the charges and the outcome of the case. Generally speaking, a criminal charge can be sealed or expunged if:

  1. Adjudication is withheld
  2. The individual was acquitted
  3. The charges were dropped or dismissed
  4. No charges were filed

We Can Help Juveniles Take Back Control Of Their Future

For juveniles, some criminal charges don't just go away. They can persist into adulthood, affecting all of the things above as well as interfere with college applications and federal student aid.

At Thomas G. Fallis, P.A., we have extensive experience handling juvenile crime cases in Florida. We not only help juveniles understand their rights, we can also help them avoid damaging criminal convictions through diversion programs. We will seek the options that are in your best interests, including helping you seal your record.

If record sealing or expungement is necessary later in life, we can help you through this process as well.

Let Us Help You Get A Fresh Start

If you have ever been convicted of a criminal offense — either by jury or through a guilty plea — you cannot have the crime expunged later. To avoid this outcome or the need to file a criminal appeal in the event of a wrongful conviction, talk to the father-son defense team at Thomas G. Fallis, P.A.

Let one of our attorneys review your case to determine your options to seal or expunge your record. Call 904-717-6684 or send us a message online to schedule a free initial consultation today.